by Mikhaela
(Hamilton, Victoria, Australia)

Hi, I'm 15 and I have taken your questionnaire and self diagnosis because I have been eating smaller portions or no food. I have constant mood swings. I rarely sleep some nights then others I fall asleep easily. I feel self-hate. I have constant headaches and fatigue. I have felt the need to commit suicide and have attempted twice. I cut and I get rather down at times.

When I took them they confirmed my assumptions but I am scared. I would like a professional opinion but I don't want my parents to find out.
How could I do so without them knowing?



I am not sure what the laws are in Australia but I assume that you can not be treated unless you are at a certain legal age. Here in the U.S. it is 18 y.o. I assume in Australia it is older than 15 which will be an issue for you.

In order to seek a formal diagnosis and treatment a professional will most likely need your parents permission. Are you afraid of what might happen if you tell them? Do you not think they'd care and be supportive of getting you the help you need?

If you are cutting and you have attempted suicide a couple of times then you really need to seek out professional help as soon as possible. The fact that you have reached out and that you took some of the tests says that you really want to get through this and be happy. That is a positive thing! Now, it's a matter of finding the support and professional help so that you can start getting treatment and begin the recovery process.

On my depression hotlines page there is a link in the "Worldwide Hotlines" section to the Befrienders Organization. This is an international source for hotlines in over 40 different countries. I'd venture they would have some resources for you to consider in Australia.

I hope that you are able to find the love, support and help that you need. I am so sorry you are suffering so much. Please know that, if you find the courage to work through this, you can and will lead a very happy, fulfilling life. There is hope! This is possible! So, don't give up on yourself.

All the best,


Since you may have to proceed without parental consent, I recommend you contact the international hotline

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Ask a Question.

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.